No, but it is strongly recommended to have your agreement written by a lawyer. Family law lawyers have templates (copies of examples) of separation agreements that they use, and these templates contain the sections you need to get your agreement. If you write the contract yourself without hiring a lawyer, you may miss a section you should have recorded or formulate something wrong. This can cause you problems if you want to register or enforce your agreement with the court or if you later find that you have made a mistake. It is strongly recommended that you consult a family lawyer in Nova Scotia to write your separation agreement. You can see on the Internet separation agreements for example or kits bought in store to write your own agreement. Be very careful when using models that you will find online or kits that you buy in a store. No organization verifies whether these models or kits are correct or available in a format accepted by the Nova Scotia courts. The only way to know that the agreement you are using is in the right format is to go to a family lawyer, preferably one who works in Nova Scotia.

If you get advice before establishing a common law relationship or preparing a separation agreement after separation, we are here to help. Whether you are in a common law relationship or not depends on the facts of your situation and whether the law you want to use gives a definition. Each statute has its own definition of what is considered a common law relationship. If you decide to register your separation agreement with the court, you can use this guide to help you. Custody and support issues in common law relationships are generally the same as in married relationships.